Wednesday, March 2, 2011

K2: Second Highest Mountain in the World

It is my passion to climb mountains and K2 which is second highest mountain of the world is the beloved from all other mountains… I have read a lot for it and have a big collection of photos & videos for this beautiful mountain. Whatever I write for it will be less as my love for this huge creation of mighty god is undefined! If the time and my luck permit I truly wish to go there once in my life, it will be the biggest and treasured moment.

K2 is located at Pakistan-Chinese border and was named “K2” by British surveyor T.G. Montgomerie in 1852. There are many names given like Chogori by people of Pakistan and Qogir by Chinese, meaning of both words means almost same i.e, Large Mountain or Great Mountain. Even the local of Balti calls it Kechu. It is also nicknamed as Savage Mountain due to its severe weather. There is a record for K2 as it is yet not climbed in winter and is basically climbed in June to August.

Height: 28,253 feet (8,612 meters)
Coordinates: 35°52′57″ N 76°30′48″ E
First Climb: Achille Compagnoni and Lino Lacedelli (Italy), July 31, 1954








1 comment:

  1. Wonderful place for all nature lovers. Video seems real and selection of pics was even more impressive! Overall good one on K2.

    ReplyDelete